A Saudi prosecutor is seeking capital punishment for five of the 11 suspects now detained over the death of Jamal Khashoggi in the Kingdom's Istanbul consulate last October.
Suspects in the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi have attended their first court hearing, the Associated Press reports, citing Saudi state media.
Saudi Arabia said it also sent new letters to the Turkish public prosecutor asking for "any evidence connected to this case", which has rattled the Saudi royal court and damaged the reputation of 33-year-old Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
The episode of the news-comedy program in question criticized the country over the killing of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi previous year at the kingdom's consulate in Turkey.
"This is why a UN-led and independent investigation is needed into the murder".
The censored episode has been viewed more than 1.6 million times on YouTube, where it remains available to viewers in Saudi Arabia.
He said the transcript of the last words of the Washington Post columnist made it clear that the murder was no botched interrogation, rather the execution of a premeditated plan to kill him - unlike what Saudi officials initially claimed.
Khashoggi had been an outspoken critic of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the country's de facto ruler.
No date has been set for the next hearing and it was unclear how long the trial would last. As the kingdom reluctantly admitted the journalist was actually killed, Riyadh has received a barrage of criticism from politicians and media alike.
On December 10, Turkey called for an worldwide investigation into the case of slain Saudi dissident journalist, after Riyadh refused to extradite two senior Saudi officials suspected of planning his murder.
On November 15 Saudi Arabia's public prosecutor's office says Khashoggi was drugged and dismembered at the consulate.
"WeWork won't let you expense meat", Minhaj remarked about the startup going vegetarian over environmental concerns, "but you take money from Saudi Arabia?"
The US Central Intelligence Agency has reportedly concluded that Prince Mohammed very likely ordered Mr Khashoggi's murder. The Saudi attorney general has demanded death sentences for five of the accused.
British newspaper the Financial Times said Netflix's action came after the kingdom's Communications and Information Technology Commission said the episode violated the cybercrime law.