Rescuers look at the rubble and wreckages by the Morandi motorway bridge in background after a section collapsed earlier in Genoa on August 14, 2018.
Moroccan lorry driver, Afifi Idriss, 39, said: "I saw the green lorry in front of me stop and then reverse so I stopped too, locked the truck and ran".
On the Solemnity of the Assumption, Pope Francis prayed that "our heavenly Mother obtain comfort, courage, and serenity for all", especially those affected by the bridge collapse.
Italian President Sergio Mattarella said a "catastrophe" had hit Genoa and the whole of Italy, as attention turned to what might have caused the collapse and who might be ultimately responsible.
A family of three who were driving to Sardinia for a holiday were reportedly among those killed in a bridge collapse in Genoa, Italy.
The Italian city's prefect office announced the updated figure on Wednesday even as rescuers searched through tons of slabs of broken roadbed, smashed concrete chunks and twisted steel for any more survivors.
Genoa prosecutor Francesco Cozzi says the investigation into the fatal bridge collapse is focusing on maintenance and the design of the 51-year-old bridge.
The collapse came as the bridge was undergoing maintenance work while the Liguria region, where Genoa is situated, experienced torrential rainfall.
Some of the names of the victims have been appearing in Italian media.
Asked if authorities had been given any warning that the bridge, - a key link between two high-speed highways, one headed toward neighbouring France and the other to Milan - could be unsafe, Cozzi indicated that no serious safety concerns before Tuesday had reached his office. I don't know how my auto wasn't crushed.
Italy's minister of transportation and infrastructure, Danilo Toninelli, said there was a plan pending to spend 20 million euro (£15.7 million) on bids for significant safety work on the bridge. The collapse sent dozens of vehicles plunging into the depths below.
The French Foreign Ministry says Wednesday that the victims include three French citizens and expressed condolences to their families.
While the apartments under the viaduct were largely spared the impact of the falling concrete, some 440 people evacuated from apartments under the shard of unscathed bridge face uncertainty about when, if ever, they will be allowed to live in their homes again.
The blog post was apparently removed yesterday but a screenshot of the post has been published by Ligurian local daily Il Secolo XIX.
It called for a "Marshall Plan" to fix or replace tens of thousands of Italian bridges and viaducts built in the 1950s and 1960s, adding that simply updating or reinforcing the bridges would be more expensive than destroying and rebuilding them with new technology.
The footage shows large search lights illuminating the accident site, with emergency vehicles and rescue workers picking through the rubble. He is now reported to be in a state of shock and is not giving interviews.
Investigators, meanwhile, were working to determine what caused an 80-metre long stretch of highway to break off from the 45-metre high bridge in the northwestern port city.