KXIP vs KKR Live Score

The government late Wednesday vowed to enforce a security crackdown to prevent further unrest after the army opened fire to disperse opposition protests in Harare, leaving at least three people dead.

Director Jennifer Cooke of the Institute of African Studies at George Washington University's Elliot School of International Affairs, who appeared on VOA's Straight Talk Africa, said the international observers have role to play in addressing discrepancies in the election.

The election was the first since Robert Mugabe was forced to resign after almost 40 years in power.

Several hundred opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) supporters gathered outside the party headquarters in Harare, chanting and shouting that they had won the elections.

The violence was an unnerving reminder of the tensions that pervade the southern African nation.

"This is hurting everyone".

"The amount of time that he had from November past year to now has not been enough for him to convince people, even more people in areas like Bulawayo and Harare, but when you look at the margins in which the MDC Alliance won in Harare and Bulawayo in Bulawayo, those margins have shrunk, a sign of Zanu PF's growth as a bit of confidence to ED's economic template of Zimbabwe is open for business", Moyo said.

"It was impossible to get into town because of transport issue", Maxwell Dube, a retail worker, told Al Jazeera. "We are ready to form the next (government)", he says. It is not worth it.

"Why are they killing us?"

Zimbabwe soldiers and police were on the streets of Harare Thursday as authorities came under under increasing pressure to release results of the presidential election. Police fired tear gas and grabbed more canisters from an officer carrying them in a crate.

Both the government and the opposition accused each other of instigating the violence.

Meanwhile opposition leader, Nelson Chamisa is still adamant that he won.

"I am therefore calling for an independent investigation into what occurred in Harare yesterday".

The ruling ZANU-PF party won a majority of seats in Parliament, the Election Commission said.

The opposition has claimed victory.

"We are concerned about reports that there have been incidents of violence in some parts of Zimbabwe", Farhan Haq, UN deputy spokesperson, told reporters in NY late on Wednesday.

"ZEC is taking its time to transmit results from polling stations to wards and to constituency centres, and this delay is totally unacceptable particularly in urban centres like Harare, Bulawayo, Gweru, Mutare and Masvingo", he said.

Zimbabwe went to the ballot on July 30, the first poll since long-time ruler Robert Mugabe was ousted from power by last November.

More than five million people were registered to vote - with a high turnout of 70%.

A record 23 presidential candidates are in June cleared to stand. It is the first time since the end of white-minority rule that such a large number has competed for the country's top seat.

"The more the presidential vote is delayed, the more it calls into question the population's confidence in the election process", said former Liberian leader Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, the lead observer of a US monitoring mission. The electoral commission had said it would announce a victor within five days of the vote, in accordance with Zimbabwean law.